Grand Isle town ordinance no 1003; beach access pass
An ordinance amending Ordinance NO. 954-A and Ordinance NO. 989 regulating the types and operation of Golf Carts and UTV on the Grand Isle Beach.
WHEREAS, the Grand Isle Beach is a major attraction for tourism on Grand Isle; and
WHEREAS, access to the beach for families and beachgoers is difficult due to the sandy condition of the beach and the distance to carry beach apparel in some areas of the beach is extremely far making it difficult to reach the areas for fishing and other activities; and
WHEREAS, elderly and disabled people need a mechanism to give them access to the beach.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Town Council of the Town of Grand Isle, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana that:
Golf carts and UTVs will be allowed on Grand Isle Beach with the following conditions:
- 1. The operator of the golf cart/UTV must be at least 16 years old and must have a valid driver's license. Insurance is recommended.
- 2. The golf cart/UTV will carry only the allotted passengers that it is built for.
- 3. Anyone who wishes to operate a golf cart/UTV on the Grand Isle Beach must purchase a beach access tag at the cost of $75.00 per year, which tag can be purchased at the police station from 7:00 am-7:00 pm. The tag must be visible on the outside of the golf cart/UTV on the front of the driver’s side. Tag expires on January 1st of each year.
- 4. Riding is allowed on the beach 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown.
- 5. Speed limit is 10 mph or less.
- 6. Golf carts (electric or gas)/UTV only are allowed and not ATV or 4-wheelers.
- 7. Must use one of the 16 marked crossings in order to cross the levee and there is no crossing or driving on the levee allowed where no accesses are provided.
- 8. No riding parallel to the beach shall be allowed in the “swash zone” and for fifty (50) feet north of the northernmost point swash zone. People may take a horizontal path to the beach to drop off their materials, supplies, ice chests, tents, and other similar equipment. Anyone who is in violation shall be subject to a first offense fine of up to five hundred dollars and/or thirty days in jail plus a mandatory court appearance.
- 9. No pulling of rafts or bodyboards or any sport by golf carts/TUV. No pulling a trailer size larger than 6X8. Handicapped persons will be exempt to ride on trailers at the officer’s discretion.
- 10. Vehicles, pedestrians, and bicycles have the right of way first.
- 11. Tires on Golf cart/UTV must not exceed 30 inches in size & must not have tractor grip style tires.
- 12. The penalty for violating this ordinance is $200.00 for a first offense, $300.00 for a second offense, and up to $500 for a third offense, and/or thirty days in jail plus mandatory court appearance and will have the permit revoked.
This ordinance was offered by Council Member Kelly Besson, JR., and seconded by Council Member Brian Barthelemy.
Official Levee Crossings
This type of tire is commonly called a paddle tire..
This tractor style tread is the R4 Composite. Used mostly for hard surfaces, I have seen this style on several side-by-sides.
This aggressive AG style is used for loose mud.
This is a 'turf' or 'button' tire tread. This preferred tire tread offers grip without deformation